Thank you.

Dear Gordan Korman,                 

What if one day you woke up and you had a second chance to be nice, and not mean, a chance to make more friends, and make people feel better, not worse. Restart opened my eyes to how if you are being mean to someone, how simply being nice can go a very long way in having someone’s opinion change about you is like getting a second chance. 

In the book Restart, I can relate to how Chase feels when he realizes that being nice is way better than being mean, and how he puts so much effort into being nice. Slowly but surely people begin to forgive him and befriend him, which truly shows the power of being nice. Even though I don’t know what it is like to have people that once hated you now being your friend, I do know that it truly must feel good even if it’s on a way smaller scale.

Restart has also taught me when I get into an argument instead of continuing to argue, I take a step back and change my attitude to be nice. Which I know can be a challenge, but in my own life, it makes a huge difference. This trick has helped me so much that I can build relationships with people, instead of destroying them because of one lousy argument. This book has also taught me a very important lesson of how we can be completely oblivious to being mean. However, as I said before I can step outside the argument and change my attitude to being nice. Another thing I realized also while reading the book Restart is that being nice is like being given a second chance. Being nice can repair the damage that has been done to a  relationship, even if you think someone is completely fine, being nice to them can make them feel even better about themselves.  You would have to forget what they may have said in the past, and be their friend again. This process is way easier if they are making an attempt to be nice.

I believe that Restart tells the same old story of being nice and not mean in a whole new light. However, I did not even realize it until I was done reading which is crazy. Sure, Restart is about a kid who gets a second chance from living a life of a bully to a life of being nice and forgiving. Restart really hit close to home when people began to forgive him and be his friend again which truly shows the power of being nice. I also realize how hard it is to forgive someone if they were being mean to you because you have to put what they may have said behind you and act like it never happened. However, this process is way easier when they are trying to be nice to you.

I don’t quite understand the fact that we can all be nice yet some chose not some chose to be mean but, if they change their ways like Chase does in Restart I’m sure people will forgive them. Being nice or changing your ways is the true challenge; it is the hardest battle. This is because when we are mean. It is so hard to step outside yourself and change the way you’re acting to be nice. Restart helped me further understand how we can be mean without even knowing it and, how being nice can truly fix the actions that we may have done and make a better future for not only ourselves but for others as well it truly is like a second chance. I thank you for writing Restart. It has truly shown me why being nice is so great and nothing can repay that.

Sincerely, Jacob Brown.